The race to build the perfect quantum computer is already on, as the tech mammoths such as Google and Microsoft are working relentlessly for winning the race.
So, what exactly is quantum computing?
In short, you could call it the most powerful and the fastest version of computers capable of processing billions of computations in seconds!
In addition to this, I believe the following 18 facts on quantum computing will give you a clearer picture.
- Quantum computing companies firmly believe that it will have the ability to utilize the unique properties of particles in their sub-atomic level or quantum level.
- Unlike the typical computers that use “bits” (1 or 0) for calculation, the quantum computer will be using “quantum bits” or qubits, capable of existing in 1, 0 and everything in between 0 to 1 (0.11, 0.89, 0.000003, etc.).
- Qubits have often shown similar properties to that of quantum entanglement. As a result, these qubits can often exist as pairs and cannot be measured individually.
Few fundamental facts on quantum computing…
- Richard Feynman was the first physicist to talk about the possibility of quantum computers in 1982.
- In the year of 1994, another mathematician named Peter Shaw described the power of quantum and its ability to solve any encryption used then and even now.
- In 2003, DARPA acquired the world’s first quantum network; hence, redefining the game for the first time in history.
- The very first quantum computing based business called 1Qbit is currently operating in Vancouver, British Columbia since 2012.
- In 2016 IBM initiated Q, which offered 5 Qbit services via cloud; however, the number has now climbed to 20 Qbit since last year.
- Organizations apart from Google and Microsoft currently using the D-Wave’s quantum algorithm are NASA and Lockheed Martin.
So what do the CEO’s and the engineers from the leading tech companies have to say about quantum?
- According to Satya Nadella the CEO of Microsoft, “The world is running out of computing capacity. Moore’s law is kinda running out of steam … [we need quantum computing to] create all of these rich experiences we talk about, all of this artificial intelligence.”
- The author of Programming the Universe, Seth Lloyd believes, “A classical computation is like a solo voice – one line of pure tones succeeding each other. Quantum computation is like a symphony – many lines of tones interfering with each other.”
- The Physicist at the Centre for Quantum Computation from Oxford University said, “Quantum computation will be the first technology that allows useful tasks to be performed in collaboration between parallel universes.”
- Jeremy O’Brien, a physicist and a researcher at the University of Bristol stated, “In less than ten years quantum computers will begin to outperform everyday computers, leading to breakthroughs in artificial intelligence, the discovery of new pharmaceuticals and beyond. The high-speed computing power given by quantum computers has the potential to disrupt traditional businesses and challenge our cybersecurity.”
- “By 2028, a quantum computer will have the potential to perform everything a human is capable of, and will eventually create more jobs” told by Geordie Rose, CTO at D-Wave.
More mind-boggling facts on quantum computing:
- It needs freezing temperature for functioning correctly, as cold as -400 degrees Fahrenheit, almost 0.02 degrees from reaching the absolute zero temperature.
- Almost a “natural” form of computing since the computations take place at the sub-atomic level.
More amazingly, it may have the ability to manipulate time. Similar to god particles that can travel forward and backward to act as a teleport.
- Ability to compute everything between 0 and 1; hence, enabling quantum computing to provide results with higher accuracy.
Do these facts on quantum computing amaze you? You’re free to share anything if I’ve missed any.
Feel free to leave your thoughts underneath the comment section as ForgePortal will love to hear from you.
Read, Like, Share and Learn!